Four-wheel-drive rival to the Audi RS Q3 is set for UK deliveries in 2020; first spy shots have emerged
24 May 2019

Mercedes-Benz’s AMG division has kicked off testing of the new GLB 45 4Matic on public roads some 12 months before its planned showroom debut.

The new Audi RS Q3 rival is differentiated from standard versions of the upcoming GLB by its reduced ride height, larger brake discs, multi-pot callipers and four tail-pipes at the rear, as opposed to the twin-exit arrangement of GLB 35 4Matic prototypes we’ve seen previously.

The GLB 45 is among a number of new Mercedes-AMG models set to run a newly developed four-cylinder engine based on Mercedes-Benz’s turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder 'M260' unit.

Also planned to appear in the A45 4Matic, CLA 45, CLA 45 Shooting Brake and GLA 45, the new powerplant is claimed to develop 383bhp in standard guise and 416bhp in a higher state of tune.

In the GLB 45, the new engine will be mated to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox and a new four-wheel drive system developed in a partnership between AMG and Austrian engineering specialist Magna Powertrain. It uses electrohydraulic actuation instead of the electromechanical operation of the four-wheel drive system by transverse engine models built by AMG up to now.

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Among the developments incorporated on the new four-wheel drive system is a rear differential featuring two separate clutches. They allow it to apportion up to 100% of power to each of the individual rear wheels in a so-called drift mode that AMG sources have revealed to Autocar will feature on all upcoming 45-badged models.

The GLB 45 is set to crown the upcoming GLB line-up when it goes on sale in 2020. It will be positioned above the GLB 35, which runs a milder 302bhp turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine and is set to form part of the initial GLB line-up that's planned to be in early June.

The GLB will become the eighth member of Mercedes-Benz’s compact car line-up. Previewed at last month’s Shanghai motor show by the Concept GLB, it measures 4634mm in length, making it just 18mm shorter than the recently facelifted GLC. In standard guise, it will offer the choice of either five or seven seats. 

Read more

Mercedes-Benz targets Audi Q3 with rugged GLB concept

Mercedes-AMG CLA 35 arrives in New York with 302bhp

Mercedes-AMG plot brand-wide shift to all-wheel drive

Join the debate

Comments
15

24 May 2019

 More often than not these over powered SUV’s come steaming past at a hundred plus on Motorways driven by people who see no wrong or the potential accidents they could cause.

Peter Cavellini.

24 May 2019
Peter Cavellini wrote:

 More often than not these over powered SUV’s come steaming past at a hundred plus on Motorways driven by people who see no wrong or the potential accidents they could cause.

It only seems 1 day 2 hrs ago you defended the BMW M50i with a post titled " Who Cares.."

Followed by "So, here we have another over powered SUV, does it matter?, the money is out there, wouldn’t you as car maker tap into this segment?

Peter Cavellini."

By all means be critical but saying it's OK for BMW to do but not others just sounds snobbish and ranks of Hypocrisy.

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

24 May 2019
xxxx wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

 More often than not these over powered SUV’s come steaming past at a hundred plus on Motorways driven by people who see no wrong or the potential accidents they could cause.

It only seems 1 day 2 hrs ago you defended the BMW M50i with a post titled " Who Cares.."

Followed by "So, here we have another over powered SUV, does it matter?, the money is out there, wouldn’t you as car maker tap into this segment?

Peter Cavellini."

By all means be critical but saying it's OK for BMW to do but not others just sounds snobbish and ranks of Hypocrisy.

Eh, if you read it properly I didn’t condone it as great, I said it’s another over powered SUV,maybe what I should have said was, why,or when did someone think, I know, I’ll stick an inappropriate huge engine in a Vehicle meant to transport outdoor work.

Peter Cavellini.

289

24 May 2019

Ah yes, the 'drift mode', I find this so essential when choosing my next SUV...ffs!

Mercedes-Benz would do well to create a GLB with a nice smooth 6 cylinder motor in it (as they did with the LHD only GLK), rather than load a car up with stupid and useless tech like 'Drift Mode'.

25 May 2019
In case your hunting down Online Illinois label sticker rebuilding efforts then you have need to go to the benefit place.We offer the speediest Illinois label sticker energizes in the state. we buy houses

wmb

24 May 2019

...I remember when the only vehicle with 400bhp+ was a BMW M5 and had every mind blown with it 's high power naturally aspirated V8! Now mini SUV's like this GLB are about to accomplish this feet with a twin turbo 4 cylinder, while M5, X5M and X6M are pushing 600bhp+ with a new ttV8. Our changing times! 

24 May 2019
wmb wrote:

...I remember when the only vehicle with 400bhp+ was a BMW M5 and had every mind blown with it 's high power naturally aspirated V8! Now mini SUV's like this GLB are about to accomplish this feet with a twin turbo 4 cylinder, while M5, X5M and X6M are pushing 600bhp+ with a new ttV8. Our changing times! 

I agree, times change and technology goes on, I suppose that some innovations will be even more updated and powerful.

Kind Regards, Elicottero Taxi Costo

30 May 2019
This is extremely exceptionally decent post you shared, I like the post, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing.. pink pill

7 June 2019
It's extremely pleasant and meanful. it's extremely cool blog. Connecting is exceptionally valuable thing.you have truly helped bunches of individuals who visit blog and give them usefull data. camion vela reggio emilia

24 May 2019
Our mission on Extreme Illyricum is to provide the best and the safest paragliding in albania tandem experience for its passengers . The team is formed by the best and most experienced pilots in Albania , coming together to make your dream come true . Fly now
Paragliding since 2008,Our mission on Extreme Illyricum is to provide the best and the safest paragliding tandem experience for its passengers . The team is formed by the best and most experienced pilots in Albania

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week