Further official images are posted online of BMW's drop-top sports car, co-developed with Toyota and sharing its platform with the upcoming Supra
23 August 2018

After a selection of leaked shots of the new BMW Z4 were leaked online via Instagram recently, official sketches have been posted ahead of the car's Pebble Beach reveal later today.

The new sketches show the car's design in full, albeit exaggerated, and confirm the authenticity of leaked shots from earlier in the month. BMW has also confirmed the existence of a special First Edition car, which is is expected to arrive ahead of the regular production Z4 in March 2019.

Those leaked shots, from an unknown source, quickly spread all over the web after their publishing, showing the Audi TT rival's exterior and interior design. They show that the production roadster takes close inspiration from the original concept, with an exterior featuring a raft of technology inspired by BMW's latest models.

The car in the leaked images is badged M40i, which is expected to be the range-topping Z4 model. A shot of the engine bay confirms it will use a turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder unit shared with the M240i, expected to produce about 350bhp.

The Z4 has now been revealed - take a look here

In June, a series of patent images revealed the car's styling, showing the car's swept-back headlights, flat rear lights and wide kidney grilles, akin to the 2017 Z4 concept. However, these new pictures seem to be the first sighting of the final production model.

BMW has previously confirmed the Z4 will be revealed at Pebble Beach in August before its specifications are announced at the Paris motor show in September..

The Z4 model has been caught on camera testing for more than a year. BMW announced the future Z4's arrival back in 2015 and revealed the concept version to preview its design last year.

Our Verdict

BMW M4

New name, new engine and two turbos and even a much needed facelift, the main question lingers - can the BMW M4 grab the initiative off of the Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupé

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Powering the new Z4 will be a choice of BMW's latest turbocharged petrol engines. Alongside the turbocharged 3.0-litre engine of the M40i, pictured in the leaked images, there will also be a Z4 30i which will use a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder that produces about 248bhp.

Both engines will come with standard rear-wheel drive and a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox.

A full-fat M version of the Z4 is not on the cards.

The Z4 shares parts with the upcoming Toyota Supra, following Toyota and BMW's decision to co-develop a new sports car platform.

Toyota Supra: latest pictures, performance figures and predictions

While the Z4 will be a convertible, Toyota's new car will be a spiritual successor to the original Supra and as such will wear a hard top, as shown by spotted development cars.

Inspiration for the new Supra's design has been taken from the striking FT-1 concept, first seen at the Detroit motor show in 2014.

Read more:

BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra - why we should be excited

Join the debate

Comments
53

19 January 2016
BMW and Toyota working together has the potential to deliver some impressive outcomes. BMW performance with Toyota reliability is a compelling combination.

28 September 2016
Will86 wrote:

BMW and Toyota working together has the potential to deliver some impressive outcomes. BMW performance with Toyota reliability is a compelling combination.

and Toyota build quality, and hybrid tech. Still a Toyota with BMW's .... erm what do Toyota get out of it?
Maybe Toyota should build their own premium cars with their reliabilty, hybrid tech and reliability. Oh, wait...

19 January 2016
The Z4 has been a market failure and the alternative to this JV with Toyota is to let the nameplate die. Humiliation, in other words. A couple of years ago, they published data about the collapse of the sportscar market since 2009, which amounted to "getting your excuses in early". However, this mule confirms the new Z4 won't be much different to the old one so clearly the lesson has not been learnt. If they're looking for more volume (and God knows the Z4 needs it) then they should use this new platform for a glorious return of the Triumph nameplate. It could be a cheaper and more characterful version of the rather bland and corporate Z4. It would certainly get a lot of attention which, after all, is what sportscars are all about.

19 January 2016
Norma Smellons wrote:

The Z4 has been a market failure and the alternative to this JV with Toyota is to let the nameplate die. Humiliation, in other words. A couple of years ago, they published data about the collapse of the sportscar market since 2009, which amounted to "getting your excuses in early". However, this mule confirms the new Z4 won't be much different to the old one so clearly the lesson has not been learnt. If they're looking for more volume (and God knows the Z4 needs it) then they should use this new platform for a glorious return of the Triumph nameplate. It could be a cheaper and more characterful version of the rather bland and corporate Z4. It would certainly get a lot of attention which, after all, is what sportscars are all about.

but whenever (rarely) I think of Triumph, I'm reminded of the Spitfire, TR7, and the Acclaim. I never think of them as being glorious. Oh, just remembered an old Boss had a brown Stag (often broken) and a mate had a TR6 (which if I remember correctly he told me shared many a part with Massey Ferguson tractors. Not a company I'd have high on a list to collaborate with when developing a sports car).

19 January 2016
Yes, of course they were crap. Most old cars were crap. The old Mini being generally crap did not stop Sloanes lusting after the new one. Land Rovers were generally regarded as mesolithic by 1985 and yet now, three decades on, they are much loved. Enough time has elapsed for the (many) bad points about Triumph to be forgotten. The key thing is they had *character* that elusive quality which hardly any cars today have. The Z4, SLK, MX5, etc are all very competent but they have the combined charisma of a bowl of custard. Whereas you actually remembered your boss's old Stag. Now how many years ago was that?

19 January 2016
It was brown and an automatic. It was immaculate though and looked far cooler than the Primeras and Escorts it shared the car park with at the time. It just broke down a lot. To be fair, he thought my slammed VW Caddy and 2cv were crap at the time. I do love classic cars generally and have owned plenty of crap ones myself (X-19 and 914 spring to mind). I just remember the Triumphs being pretty crap when they were new. Also, I've remembered another... My Grandfather had a new Dolomite. My other Grandfather often refered to it as a Dolop-o-sh1te. He had a Dyane?!?! I admit that people, world wide lust after the Mini and even the Land Rover but wherever you are in the world you're bound to have seen/been in an old Mini or Land Rover at some point thoughout your life. I doubt if people would lust after a new Triumph. I know they were sold thoughout the world but in pretty small numbers compared to the Mini or Land Rover. Whenever I see an article on Autocar that some wealthy barmpot is about to relaunch AC/Jensen/TVR/Bristol only for it generally amount to nothing I'm rarely surprised as apart for the beardy marque enthusiasts, is there a sustainable market to be found? I suppose with the might of BMW behind them, Triumph may stand a better chance than the others. I'll stick to my MX5 though.

19 January 2016
Most amusing. And a valid point - the sportscar market is small and fickle. It would cost a fortune to explain to the Chinese etc precisely what a Triumph is and why should they or anyone else want one? But the Dolomite is still a bit of a looker. Back in the day it was a genuine rival to the 2002, in concept but obviously not in execution. With the car market growing there will come a point when BMW may need another brand. Plus they keep renewing the Triumph trademarks. You never know. In the 5 door Mini we have a spiritual successor to the Austin 1100. Never thought that would happen.

20 January 2016
I didn't see the 5 door Mini coming and to be honest, the Austin 1100 is far more desirable...

12 August 2018
Norma Smellons wrote:

Most amusing. And a valid point - the sportscar market is small and fickle. It would cost a fortune to explain to the Chinese etc precisely what a Triumph is and why should they or anyone else want one? But the Dolomite is still a bit of a looker. Back in the day it was a genuine rival to the 2002, in concept but obviously not in execution. With the car market growing there will come a point when BMW may need another brand. Plus they keep renewing the Triumph trademarks. You never know. In the 5 door Mini we have a spiritual successor to the Austin 1100. Never thought that would happen.

Having never owned or driven or even been driven in a triumph I can honestly say that for some reason I agree that rebadging this as a triumph could be a good thing, the tr's are well regarded classics and command very high prices, bar the 7, the dolomite sprint is a real looker and was well regarded as a good drivers car from the old reviews I have seen. As for BMW maybe needing another brand, they had one in Rover, that could so easily have been their VW competitor as they are Audi's, they had so much scope with the MG name as well to play with. 

16 August 2018
si73 wrote:

Norma Smellons wrote:

Most amusing. And a valid point - the sportscar market is small and fickle. It would cost a fortune to explain to the Chinese etc precisely what a Triumph is and why should they or anyone else want one? But the Dolomite is still a bit of a looker. Back in the day it was a genuine rival to the 2002, in concept but obviously not in execution. With the car market growing there will come a point when BMW may need another brand. Plus they keep renewing the Triumph trademarks. You never know. In the 5 door Mini we have a spiritual successor to the Austin 1100. Never thought that would happen.

Having never owned or driven or even been driven in a triumph I can honestly say that for some reason I agree that rebadging this as a triumph could be a good thing, the tr's are well regarded classics and command very high prices, bar the 7, the dolomite sprint is a real looker and was well regarded as a good drivers car from the old reviews I have seen. As for BMW maybe needing another brand, they had one in Rover, that could so easily have been their VW competitor as they are Audi's, they had so much scope with the MG name as well to play with. 

My first girlfriend's dad had a 2500PI, and it was lovely and smooth and comfortable.  Plus the front seat backs gave us sufficient cover to snuggle up and have a grope without being seen, which was a crucial quality in establishing my fond memories of it.  A good sound one would still be a nice way to travel today.

I don't need to put my name here, it's on the left

 

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week